What Is It? The Helen McCloy/MWA Scholarship for Mystery Writing seeks to nurture talent in mystery writing—in fiction, nonfiction, playwriting, and screenwriting.
Who May Apply? The scholarship is open to U.S. citizens or permanent residents only. Membership in Mystery Writers of America is not required to apply. The McCloy Scholarship is intended for serious aspiring mystery writers who wish to improve their writing skills. Applicants should not have received monetary compensation for novels, short stories, non-fiction, screenplays or play scripts in the crime-writing genre.
How Shall the Scholarship Be Used? The scholarship shall be used to offset tuition and fees for writing workshops, writing seminars, or university/college-level writing programs taking place in the U.S. in summer, fall or winter of 2018 or early spring 2019. Applicants must select a specific writing class/workshop/seminar to which scholarship funds would be applied. To be eligible, the chosen writing program must require the applicant to produce writing and to have writing critiqued. Writing conferences featuring only panels and agent conferences are not eligible.
What Is the Scholarship Amount? MWA will present two scholarships for up to $500 each. Scholarship checks are issued in late Spring and are made out jointly to scholarship winners and their chosen educational institutions.
Submission Details Applicants are required to submit:
* ONE Scholarship application form, completed – 2018 McCloy Application Form
* ONE copy of the official description of the writing class/workshop/program (from college catalog, workshop brochure, or other.)
* One copy of a 300- to 500-word essay explaining the applicant’s interest in mystery writing
* One copy of a sample of mystery writing for judging: either a synopsis and 3 chapters from a novel, or 3 short stories, or 3 short nonfiction pieces, or 1 screenplay or 1 play script
The scholarship committee may also require a letter of acceptance and/or syllabus or other documentation from the writing class/workshop/seminar to be attended.
Email all materials in one complete submission package to:
Put “submission” in the subject line of the email.
Application Deadline All applications must be postmarked by February 28, 2018.
No late applications or emailed applications will be accepted.
Questions? For individual answers and a copy of scholarship FAQs and submission tips (recommended), e-mail the scholarship committee at: McCloy.MWA@gmail.com
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. LEARN MORE HERE.
- Appalachian Festival of Plays & Playwrights
- The Madison Short Play Festival : Unpresidented
- Through line Artists' Summer Shorts 2018
- Women's Project Theater Lab Applications
- TASN Short Play Festival
- Mass Rhetoric: A New Works Festival 2018
- Attic's Christmas Playwriting Contest & Festival
- Free tickets: THE BENCH (also advisory to those wi...
- Pipedream Productions presents: Piping Hot New Wor...
- Ticket give-away: SHOOTER
- NYCPlaywrights & Ken Wolf's Playwriting Podcast
- IATC First Annual Playwriting Competition
- Ticket give-away: SCOOP
- Next Act New Play Summit 2018
- Helen McCloy Scholarship
- Playwrights’ Revolution 2018
- THE WRITER’S VOICE: Ten Minute Play Festival
- EVCT Aspiring Playwrights
- Playwrights Realm Fellowship & Scratchpad
- NYC One-Act Festival
- Native American New Play Festival 2018
- Orlando Shakespeare Theater PlayFest 2018
- Relative Theatrics Playwrights Voices
- The Philadelphia Women’s Theatre Festival
- CHAGRIN VALLEY LITTLE THEATRE 10-10 FESTIVAL KIDS ...
- 20% Theatre Company Twin Cities submission guideli...
- NYSummerfest 2018
- The Jane Chambers Playwriting Award
- BINGHAM CAMP THEATRE RETREAT
- Edgemar Center for the Arts seeks plays
- Waltzing Mechanics seek documentary plays
- Free ticket give-away: THE BENCH: A HOMELESS LOVE ...
- The Peekskill High School and Middle School Acting...
- Cupcake Lady - Another Taste of Rotten Theatre
- ▼ February (34)
- ► 2017 (662)
- ► 2016 (514)
- ► 2015 (519)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)