We encourage emerging playwrights to apply at the beginning of their careers so that through the New Dramatists Fellowship, they can develop their work as well as benefit from being a part of a unique, diverse, dynamic community of professional playwrights. An applicant’s status as an emerging playwright is evaluated during the adjudication process.
One playwright will be selected to receive:
• A grant in the amount of $7,500
• A one-season (September – June) artistic residency at New Dramatists, Inc. in New York City (For Award recipients living outside of the New York metro area, your on-site residency can be adapted according to your schedule with reimbursement provided for transportation costs to/from New York)
• Inclusion of your script in New Dramatists’ library
• Advocacy for the recipient and their script to New York and National theatre communities for the duration of the fellowship
• Mentorship from a New Dramatists resident playwright for the duration of the fellowship
• Opportunity for winning play to be licensed and published by Samuel French, Inc.
• All candidates must be United States citizens or have permanent resident status.
• Eligible playwrights must not have had more than 3 public productions of their full-length plays mounted by a producing theatre.
Developmental readings and workshops, university productions, and self-productions are admissible.
You must submit one unpublished, full-length play (A full-length play is a single play that constitutes a full evening of theater. For example, a 90-minute intermissionless play is a full-length play.)
• There is no restriction on subject matter
• Co-written material will not be accepted
• No adaptations of previously published material
The Foundation is looking to identify and support original, authentic, unheard voices in the theater. The panel will consider the submitted play in terms of the originality of the storytelling, quality, and offering of new perspectives.
Submission Window: February 15-March 15, 2018 6PM EDT
To begin your application, click on the “Begin Application” button. You will be asked to create a username and enter your email address. Once you have clicked “Submit,” you will receive an email with instructions on how to log in. From this point forward, you will be guided through a simple process collecting all of your admissions materials in seven easy steps:
1. Log in. You will be asked to confirm you are a US Citizen, or permanent resident.
2. Fill in your full name, address, and phone number.
3. Upload your playwriting resume.
4. Upload one full-length work (play or book of a musical) (The following files may be used: txt, pdf, doc, docx, rtf).
5. Upload your personal statement.
6. Should you wish to submit a letter of recommendation, enter the name and email of your reference. An email containing a link to upload their letter of recommendation will be sent directly to them.
7. Review your application, and click “Submit Your Application” to complete the process. You will receive an email confirming your application has been received.
You may save your application at any point and return to it later before submitting. Once the application window closes at 6:00 (EDT) p.m. on March 15, you may not alter your application in any way.
If you have any questions, please email us.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- Triskelion Arts' Experimental Works Program
- The Arch and Bruce Brown Foundation grant guidelin...
- Punk Monkey Productions seeking one-act plays
- The Business of Theater Workshop
- 2018 Glassco Translation Residency
- Aberrant Theatre is currently seeking short, horro...
- Life-sized Meme productions seeks scripts for 2018...
- Ox-Bow 2018 Fall Writers Residency
- Keegan Boiler Room Series Play and Musical Submiss...
- Happy World Theater Day March 27
- Fade To Black Play Festival
- The Dr. Floyd Gaffney Playwriting Competition 2018...
- Fourth Annual End of The Road New Short Play Festi...
- THEATRE503 PLAYWRITING AWARD 2018
- 9th Annual Festival of Shorts
- Manhattan Rep's SHORT PLAY PROJECT Spring 2018
- Coachella Review seeks drama
- Open Space Arts seeking submissions
- Seeing Between the Lines: The Dramaturg’s Perspect...
- 48-Hour Musicals
- 9Thirty Theatre Company submission guidelines
- Discount tickets: LATER LIFE
- 13th Annual One Act Play Festival (OAPF)
- Rover Dramawerks is seeking full-length comedies o...
- Theatre Conspiracy Annual New Play Contest
- RENEGADE N.O.W. 2018
- Turn to Flesh seeks plays with female protagonists...
- Matchstick Theatre seeks plays
- 21st Annual Aurand Harris Memorial Playwriting Awa...
- Athena Project - Plays in Progress Series
- The P73 Playwriting Fellowship
- THE LESLIE SCALAPINO AWARD FOR INNOVATIVE WOMEN PE...
- Dan I Rodden Jr Play Award
- Brockport Festival of Ten XI
- Playwrights Week at The Lark
- Manhattan Rep's Playwright's Showcase
- 2018 NATIONAL CALL FOR SCRIPTS Environ Justice
- This Round’s On Us: The - Making Sense - Festival ...
- The Petaluma Radio Players seeks plays for radio
- Babes with Blades submission guidelines
- Princess Grace Awards Playwriting Fellowship
- Call for Monologues: Illuminated Dresses
- Scranton Fringe Festival 2018
- Screenwriting Workshop at Primary Stages ESPA
- Whiskey Radio Hour seeks 10-minute plays
- Sixth Theatre Brut Short-Play Festival
- Clutch Productions offers commission to emerging f...
- Elite Theatre Company One-Act Play Writing Competi...
- The Blank Theatre Young Playwrights Festival
- ▼ March (49)
- ► 2017 (662)
- ► 2016 (514)
- ► 2015 (519)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)