A £10,000 prize celebrating innovation in playwriting
Submissions are now open for the James Tait Black Prize for Drama. The £10,000 award is bestowed to the best original new play produced from 1 January - 31 December 2017.
The annual drama prize is open to any new work in English, Scots or Gaelic by playwrights from any country and at any stage in their career. It is organised by the University of Edinburgh in association with Playwrights’ Studio, Scotland and the Traverse Theatre.
Judges will award the accolade to a play which displays an original voice in theatre and one that they feel has made a significant and unique contribution to the art form.
The winner will be announced at an award ceremony held at The Traverse Theatre during the August festivals in Edinburgh, where extracts of the shortlisted plays will be performed.
The James Tait Black Prize for Drama was launched in 2012, when the UK’s oldest book awards were extended to include a new category for drama. Last year David Ireland’s confrontational tragicomedy Cyprus Avenue was the fifth play to win the £10,000 prize.
Submissions must be made from agents or the original producing company, and the nominator must have permission from the playwright before making a submission.
If the play is shortlisted, the playwright must agree to co-operate with the organisers in the award ceremony and consent to give rights to Playwrights’ Studio, Scotland for a rehearsed reading of their work.
Eligible plays are 60 minutes or longer in playing time, originally written in English (including all standard and non-standard varieties) Scots or Gaelic, first produced between 1 January and 31 December 2017, and performed by a professional company for more than six performances.
The playwright must have been commissioned formally by a professional organisation using a contract recognised by an industry regulator within the country of production (e.g. in the UK, The Writers Guild of Great Britain, Scottish Society of Playwrights and Federation of Scottish Theatre, UK Theatre, Equity or ITC).
The production must have had a full production by a professional company using professionally contracted personnel.
Submitted plays are long-listed by post-graduate students from the University of Edinburgh. A panel of academics and industry experts then shortlist those to three, and go on to select the winning play.
For details on how to submit a play for the 2018 James Tait Black Drama Prize, visit:
Deadline for submissions: Monday 22 January 2018.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- ► 2018 (544)
- Stage Door Productions, Inc Eleventh Annual Origin...
- University of Houston 10-Minute Play Festival Call...
- The Clubbed Thumb Biennial Commission
- NYCPlaywrights Write a Monologue for Me ~ Part II ...
- First Flight New Play Festival
- MiniFest 2018 Script Submissions
- 2018 Women Playwrights Series (WPS) and Susan Glas...
- Theatrical Botanicum Seedlings
- Pipedream Productions seeks short plays
- 2018 Snowdance® 10 Minute Comedy Festival
- Richard Rodgers Award
- InViolet's SECOND MONDAY SOCIAL
- Eden Prarie's 2018 Collection of One Acts
- Jerome Fellowship
- Call for Plays - Bellarmine University Internation...
- JAMES TAIT BLACK PRIZE FOR DRAMA
- The Playwrights' Center Core Writer Program
- Everyday Inferno Annual Outdoor Park Show
- NYCPlaywrights WRITE A MONOLOGUE FOR ME ~ part II
- Empire Stage submission guidelines
- Between Us Productions 7th Annual Take Ten Festiva...
- Coffee & Whisky Script Pub submission guidelines
- New Plays for Young Audiences seeks full-length pl...
- Manhattan Rep's Playwright's Showcase
- Primary Previews: Pride and Prejudice
- 2018 Last Frontier Theatre Conference
- Puffin Foundation Grant Award
- Call for Unproduced Latin@ Plays
- The Female Gaze seeks monologue
- PRIMARY STAGES: Everything is Action (Throwback)
- FUTUREFEST 2018
- EST/Sloan Project
- 2018 Van Lier New Voices Fellowship
- Target Margin Theater TMI Institute Fellowship
- Reva Shiner Comedy Award
- Theatre Southwest 13th Annual Reader's Theatre
- The Dare Tactic seeks plays & musicals
- NYCPlaywrights Write a Monologue for Me project se...
- Rover Dramawerks fourth annual 10-Minute Play Cont...
- Camargo Foundation residency
- Cape Cod Theatre Project 2018
- Tree City Playhouse 10-Minute Play Competition
- Winterfest Theater Festival
- Talk Back Theater seeks plays by women
- HERE Artist Residency Program
- A Primary Stages ESPA Classic Workshop, offered in...
- Shakespeare in the ‘Burg Fifth Annual One-Act Play...
- The Sauk plays in development
- Manhattan Rep's Playwright's Showcase
- American Antiquarian Society Fellowships for Creat...
- Call for Submissions - Hidden Hate / Hidden Love
- Downtown Urban Arts Festival (DUAF) seeking plays
- Jewish Women's Theater seeks
- ▼ October (53)
- ► 2016 (514)
- ► 2015 (519)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)