Norton J. “Sky” Cooper established the Emerging American Playwright Prize award at Marin Theatre Company in 2007 in honor of David Calicchio’s lifelong career as a playwright and in support of Marin Theatre Company’s commitment to the discovery and development of new and emerging American playwrights. The Calicchio Prize will be awarded annually to a professionally unproduced playwright for a new work that shows outstanding promise and a distinctive new voice for the American theatre. The play selected as the Calicchio Prize winner will receive 2 public staged readings at Marin Theatre Company as part of the theatre’s annual New Play Reading Series. The playwright will receive a $2,500 award, as well as travel and accommodations for the MTC rehearsal period (25 hours).
- Submissions will be accepted from July 1 – 31, 2017.
- Submissions must be unpublished, original full-length plays in any genre.
- Musicals, translations, individual one-acts, and any play submitted in a previous year for the Sky Cooper or David Calicchio Prizes are not eligible.
- The submitting playwright may not have received a full-scale, professional production prior to submission (plays that have had a workshop, reading, or non-professional production are eligible).
- Playwrights must be citizens of the United States.
- Only one submission per playwright is allowed each year; you may submit the same play for both prizes.