Submission Deadline: April 30, 2018
The Chameleon Theatre Circle (located in the Twin Cities area in Minnesota) is seeking original works that have never been produced. All styles and genres are welcomed (i.e. one-acts, musicals, full length dramas, etc.). The winning plays is scheduled to be showcased in a concert-format festival in November 2018. All shows submitted will automatically be placed on the slate of shows in consideration for the 2019/2020 season by the Season Planning Committee.
We are proud to announce that for the 19th consecutive year we are not charging a submission fee! To enter you must complete an entry form, which can be found on our website at www.chameleontheatre.org/newplay, and submit it along with three (3) copies of each script to the address below. We request that copies of the plays be printed double-sided to save on paper, mailing costs, and storage. If you are submitting a musical, also include 3 copies of the music on a CD or flash drive.
Do not bind any author identification with your scripts. We will distribute the scripts “blind” to our readers for complete objectivity. Include the show’s title on at least the first bound page. Once the winning scripts have been chosen, we will disclose the playwrights’ identity to our readers (and the world).
We do not accept plays that have been previously produced. We do accept plays that have had workshops and other readings. Receipt of play(s) will be acknowledged by e-mail only upon request. Scripts are non-returnable.
As in past years, this year’s contest will have multiple categories.
Three to five winners will receive $25 each plus a reading at the New Play Festival. All short plays will be entered in this contest. Generally, scripts of about 15 pages or less will fall into this category.
One to three winners will receive $50 each plus a reading at the New Play Festival. Any play that can be joined with one or two other shows of similar length to make up a complete evening of theatre will be entered in this contest. Generally, scripts of about 20-60 pages will fall into this category.
One to two winners will receive $100 plus a reading at the New Play Festival. Any play that can constitute a complete evening of theatre will be entered in this contest. It is important to note that these shows can be one, two, or more acts, as long as it makes up a complete evening of theatre.
If five or more musicals are submitted, the theatre reserves the right to create a “musical” category. Musicals are defined as any original play using original or rights permitted musical dialogue to further the story and/or the characters. Winners, if any, will be awarded a prize amount based on the length of the musical i.e. full-length, one-act, and 10-minute. In the absence of enough qualifying scripts, or if the theatre determines not to create an additional category, any musical will be entered into the appropriate category as defined above.
If five or more plays intended for and/or by youth are submitted, the theatre reserves the right to create a “theatre-for-youth” category. Theatre-for-youth plays are defined as any original play intended for young audiences, young participants, or both. Winners, if any, will be awarded a prize amount based on the length of the play i.e. full-length, one-act, and 10-minute. In the absence of enough qualifying scripts, or if the theatre determines not to create an additional category, any theatre-for-youth submission will be entered into the appropriate category as defined above.
OVERALL CONTEST WINNER/AUDIENCE FAVORITE WINNER
At the theatre’s discretion, we reserve the right to designate or not designate an “Overall Contest Winner” from any category and an “Audience-Favorite Winner” from any category at the conclusion of the New Play Festival. No additional prize money is awarded, just bragging rights.
Each playwright may submit up to two plays in any combination. Please submit three (3) copies of each script (plus 3 copies of the music on CDs or flash drives for musicals) and the required entry form(s) by April 30, 2018 (in hand, not postmarked by) to:
The Chameleon Theatre Circle 19th Annual New Play Contest 7287 153rd St W # 240069 Apple Valley MN 55124 www.chameleontheatre.org firstname.lastname@example.org
Chameleon has produced 23 original plays over the course of 20 seasons!
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- 4th STREET THEATER FIFTH ANNUAL TEN PLAY FESTIVAL
- Chicago's City Lit Theater's "Art of Adaptation Fe...
- Seeking 10-minute plays for show at Lucky Jacks on...
- Seeking Submissions for the 2018 Midwest Dramatist...
- The Chameleon Theatre Circle announces its 19th An...
- Barrington Stage Company New Play Award
- BMI Theatre Workshop
- Embassy of Foreign Artists
- New Voices Series seeks one-act scripts
- Dramatists Guild Foundation
- ALOHA THEATRE SEEKS SCRIPTS FOR 25TH ANNUAL ORIGIN...
- PLAYLAB CLASS OF 2019
- Summer Writing Classes at Primary Stages ESPA!
- TBT seeks full-length plays
- Thespian Production is seeking one-act plays
- The Ten-Minute Musicals Project
- PROBLEMATIC PLAY FESTIVAL
- Manhattan Rep's Summer One Act Play Competition 20...
- American Stage’s 21st Century Voices: 2019 New Pla...
- Studio Players 5th Annual 10-Minute Play Festival
- Parsnip Ship seeks plays for 2018
- 8th Annual Shakespeare's Birthday Sonnet Slam
- Acadiana Repertory Theatre seeks plays and musical...
- The Gate Project
- Gladstone Library Writers in Residence 2019
- Theatre Topics submission guidelines
- OnStage!festival, a new Festival of American Theat...
- Sultan Padamsee Award for Playwriting 2018
- 51st Annual John Gassner Memorial Playwriting Awar...
- Players Theatre Short Play & Musical Festival – NY...
- PLAYWRIGHTS' LAB ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR MEMBER...
- Falso Mutis presents: First Open Call: Playwriting...
- #metoo Plays - 10-minute plays wanted
- Going To The River Festival 2018
- 2018 Third Annual One-Act Playwriting Jamboree
- Small Fish Radio submission guidelines
- Florida Theatrical Association announces the 2018 ...
- Roaring Epiphany Production Company seeks playwrig...
- Protest Plays' Get Out the Vote! Initiative
- Theatre Southwest 21th Annual Theatre Southwest Fe...
- Seeking short astrology-themed pieces for publicat...
- MadLab full-length submissions
- Everyday Inferno Theatre Co. Annual Outdoor Park S...
- Gi60 2018
- The 2018 Rockford New Play Festival
- Reclamation 2018 Plays written by and about Elders...
- ▼ April (46)
- ► 2017 (662)
- ► 2016 (514)
- ► 2015 (519)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)