Since its founding in 1992, Writers Omi at Ledig House has hosted hundreds of authors and translators, representing more than fifty countries. We welcome published writers and translators of every type of literature. International, cultural and creative exchange is a foundation of our mission, and a wide distribution of national background is an important part of our selection process.
Guests may select a residency of one week to two months; about ten at a time gather to live and work in a rural setting overlooking the Catskill Mountains. Ledig House provides all meals, and each night a local chef prepares dinner. Daytime is reserved for writing and quiet activities, while evenings are more communal. A program of weekly visits bring guests from the New York publishing community. Noted editors, agents and book scouts are invited to share dinner and conversation on both creative and practical subjects, offering insight into the workings of the publishing industry, and introductions to some of its key professionals. Click here for a list of former guest speakers.
German publisher, Heinrich Maria Ledig-Rowohlt, for whom the program is named, was noted for his passionate commitment to quality in literature. His list of authors included Thomas Wolfe, William Faulkner, Yukio Mishima, Jean-Paul Sartre, Vladimir Nabokov, John Updike, Toni Morrison and Thomas Pynchon.
Writers Omi has hosted hundreds of writers and translators from roughly 50 countries around the world. The colony's strong international emphasis reflects the spirit of cultural exchange that is part of Ledig's enduring legacy.
Each applicant is required to provide 4 (four) separate items in total:
1. A cover letter, which provides the following details: country of birth, country of residency, the language in which you write, your preferred residency dates. Additionally, please let us know how you heard about Writers Omi at Ledig House, why you want to come to Writers Omi and what you expect to get from the experience.
*Important Note*: If you are eligible for one of our sponsored residencies, such as the Amazon.com Translation Fellowships or the residency set aside for a Whiting Award winner please indicate so in your cover letter. For a full list of sponsored residencies, please see the "Sponsorships & Endowments" tab on our webpage.
2. A brief (2 pages, maximum) statement about your work history, referencing publications, performances and writing credits. This can be submitted in CV format.
3. A writing sample, no more than 50 pages. (Please be sure to indicate if the writing is published or unpublished; if it is published please provide details.)
4. A one page description of the work to be undertaken while at Writers Omi.
Your writing sample does NOT have to be an English translation; please submit your writing sample in your mother tongue. All other documentation must be submitted in English.
Your cover letter should be provided in the designated Cover Letter field. Items 2-4 should each be provided as separately uploaded files.
In addition to these requirements, every applicant must arrange to have a letter of recommendation submitted separately. The letter can be provided by a fellow writer, teacher, editor, literary agent, or any informed individual who can speak to your character and work.
Please use the Reference Letter field in your online application to send a request for a letter to the individual who will provide your recommendation. Once that individual receives this prompt he or she will be able to upload a letter separately to your application file.
To be considered for a 2017 residency, your application (including separate letter of recommendation) must be received electronically by the end of the day, October 20, 2016 (11:59 p.m. EDT).
We look forward to receiving your application.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- ► 2018 (537)
- ► 2017 (662)
- SLAM Boston Diverse Voices in Theatre seeks 10-min...
- 11th Annual 10 Minute Play Festival
- The University of Houston School of Theatre & Danc...
- T. Schreiber Studio & Theatre's 2017 New Works Pro...
- The Commission Theatre Company is seeking submissi...
- Blackboard Plays RedVolution Community Night seeks...
- EST/Sloan Project commissions
- Cape Cod Theater Project 2017
- The Reva Shiner Comedy Award
- Discount tickets: RENT CONTROL
- The Pacific Playwrights Festival (PPF)
- NYWINTERFEST THEATER COMPETITION SUBMISSIONS WANTE...
- CALL FOR PLAYS | NATIONAL TEN-MINUTE PLAY CONTEST
- The Richard Rodgers Awards 2017
- Snowdance® 10 Minute Comedy Festival 2017
- Tree City Playhouse 10-Minute Play Competition
- Tenth Annual Original One-Act Festival
- Theatre Southwest 12th Annual Readers Theatre
- Residency - Writers Omi at Ledig House
- Discount tickets: ONE FLEA SPARE
- New Plays for Young Audiences seeks full-length pl...
- Gary Garrison Playwriting Festival - 2016 Guidelin...
- Theatrical Botanicum Seedlings
- Manhattan Repertory Theatre Fall 10 Minute Play S...
- Eden Prairie Players Accepting Submissions of One ...
- 2017 Last Frontier Theatre Conference
- Manhattan Repertory Theatre's FALL PLAY SPECTACULA...
- Windy City Playhouse is accepting submissions for ...
- Free reading: Aphra Behn UN/MASKED
- New York Theater Workshop 2017 Fellowships
- Relationship Theatre seeks short plays
- DUAF seeking staged plays
- New Paradigm Theatre's Holiday Show 2016 to Accept...
- White Rabbit Productions seeks a team of writers
- EST Marathon of One Act Plays
- Ten Minute Plays Wanted for Festival
- Rover Dramawerks 10-Minute Play Contest
- Discount tickets: COMMUNION
- Onion Man Productions seeks ten-minute plays
- 2017 Van Lier New Voices Fellowship
- Acadia Theatre MiniFest
- Babes with Blades: Joining Sword & Pen
- SPOOKTACULAR seeks ten-minute plays
- Episcopal High School Seeks Musical Theatre Submis...
- Native Voices seeks full-length plays
- FIRST FLIGHT New Play Festival
- 2017 Jewish Plays Project Season
- Open Call: New Plays from the World
- Discount Tickets: SWEET
- MiniFest seeks one-act plays
- ▼ October (50)
- ► 2015 (519)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)