Bellarmine University in Louisville, KY is proud to announce the return of its International 10- minute Play Festival in March 2016. The festival will run March 16-21 and will consist of 5-6, fully produced 10-minute plays, performed in repertory fashion. We are seeking submissions fromplaywrights interested in participating in this year’s festival.
Theme and Submission Guidelines
Last May, Pope Francis issued a letter outlining Catholic doctrine in response to climate change and the need to protect “our common home.” This year, our festival will pick up on the pope’s charge as we are seeking plays that deal with the theme of OUR COMMON HOME.
Playwrights are encouraged to compose plays dealing with conservation, the global impact of climate change, food sustainability, clean and accessible natural resources, environmental health, overpopulation, and the social, economic and legal issues which arise out of these concerns. While the issues of environmentalism and sustainability form the foundation of our interest in the selected theme, playwrights are encouraged to think broadly about these ideas and are welcome to submit work that deals with the theme of OUR COMMON HOME, broadly interpreted.
- Plays should feature no more than four characters with ages ranging from 16-30.
- Plays should take place in no more than 1-2 locations.
- As these plays will be performed as part of an evening of ten-minute plays, we ask that playwrights limit themselves to basic set, costume, and property needs.
- Each script must be no more than ten pages long, excluding title pages and characte lists.
- Each playwright may submit only one script, so send us your best effort.
- Due to the difficulty in reading submissions, submissions are limited to the first 200 scripts we receive each year. Also, please note that due to the volume of scripts we receive, we are unable to offer commentary and feedback on the scripts.
Playwrights should submit their script electronically to email@example.com no later than October 5th, 2015.
A committee of readers will evaluate the scripts and playwrights selected for inclusion in the festival will be notified in early November. Playwrights selected for inclusion in the festival will receive a small stipend. If you have questions about submissions or the festival in general, please call Dr. Zackary Ross at 502.272.8431.