Calling all writers and horror fans! To celebrate our 5th year and as part of our dedication to support new work in the horror theatre world, this year the London Horror Festival and the Etcetera Theatre are teaming up to host a short playwriting competition with the guiding theme ‘It’s not what it seems …’
We are looking for unique, dark and intimate storytelling to terrify and disturb our opening night audience. We welcome entries from anyone and everyone, whether you are a first time scribe or a seasoned horror theatre pro. If you have a penchant for writing and a love for horror we can’t wait to hear from you.
Submissions are open from now until Saturday 15th August, after which the festival team will shortlist 3 plays to be staged by a professional cast and crew at The Etcetera Theatre, one of London’s top fringe venues and official home of the London Horror Festival. The plays will be performed on Monday 5th October, at the opening night of the 2015 festival.
And for one lucky writer, there will be an amazing special prize… The overall winning play, which will be chosen and announced on the night by a special guest judge, will be automatically granted a 3 night performance slot at the Black Box Festival in January 2016, with the opportunity to stage a fully developed production of their play!
Below are the competition requirements:
• Submissions should be between 10-15 minutes long
• Plays should be written to the theme of ‘It’s not what it seems…’ and fit into the horror genre. Be imaginative with this! The more creatively this is interpreted the better!
• The play must be set in one room only
• The play must be limited to two characters.
• To give you an idea of the performance space the specs of the Etcetera are as follows:
– The stage is 5m wide x 3m70 deep.
– Two entrances are downstage left (main theatre entrance) and upstage left (to the dressing room).
– The dressing room links back to the main corridor so both entrances can be used during the performance.
– We have a number of furniture items available (chairs, stools, bench, tables, sofa)
– Due to health and safety regulations, the fire exit signs have to be on so be aware the theatre can’t go to complete black.
• Submission deadlines are Saturday 15th August, 2015. Entries received after this time will not be considered.
• Shortlisted plays will be announced in September.
• Plays should be submitted by email, in Word or PDF formats.
So embrace your dark side and get writing! This is a unique opportunity to be part of the 5th year of the London Horror Festival and see your deepest, darkest stories brought to life on a London stage! Please send submissions and any enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- ► 2018 (502)
- ► 2017 (662)
- ► 2016 (514)
- Diez Minutos 2016 seeks 10-minute plays
- Primary Stages Einhorn School of Performing Arts (...
- Generations residency
- Talos Science Fiction Theatre Festival Call for Sc...
- Bread & Roses Theatre Company seeks short plays
- DEATHSCRIBE 2015
- Hijabi Monologues
- Studio C Artists Holiday Show
- FUTURE TEN FESTIVAL OF 10-MINUTE PLAYS
- Overtime Theater Call for Submissions 2016
- 2016 David Calicchio Emerging American Playwright ...
- Discount tickets: MRS. SMITH'S BROADWAY CAT-TACULA...
- 10 by 10 x 10 Ten Minute Play Festival
- The August Event
- THIRD ANNUAL UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS- AMHERST ...
- Fall Playwriting Classes at ESPA!
- Pipeline submission guidelines
- Upright Citizen's Brigade Diversity Scholarship
- London Horror Festival
- Call for original short plays by playwrights from ...
- 4th Annual nuVoices New Play Festival
- RADD Theatre Co call for submissions
- The Yale Drama Series is seeking submissions for i...
- LIC One Act Festival 2015
- The Hormel Festival of New Plays and Musicals 201...
- Nylon Fusion Theatre Company is currently acceptin...
- 1812 Productions Submission Guidelines
- July Short Play Lab
- Cutler Bay Community Theater 2015 Ten-Minute Play...
- New Jersey Playwrights Contest of William Paterson...
- New Play-Reading Festival Script Submission Deadli...
- PICK OF THE VINE – Season 14 (2016)
- The Players Follies Group seeks 10-minute plays
- Accepting submissions for Lama Theater Company’s M...
- Nerve Lantern submissions: Yoko Ono
- Playhouse Creatures submission guidelines
- Random Access Workshop Readings
- Roister Doister Publishing seeks plays for young p...
- ▼ July (38)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)