The winning play will be selected by the series' current judge, Ayad Akhtar. The winner of this annual competition will be awarded the David Charles Horn Prize of $10,000, publication of his/her manuscript by Yale University Press, and a staged reading at Lincoln Center's Claire Tow Theater. The prize and publication are contingent on the playwright's agreeing to the terms of the publishing agreement.
There is no entry fee. Please follow these guidelines in preparing your manuscript:
1. This contest is restricted to plays written in the English language. Worldwide submissions are accepted.
2. Submissions must be original, unpublished full-length plays written in English. Translations, musicals, adaptations, and children's plays are not accepted. The Yale Drama Series is intended to support emerging playwrights. Playwrights may win the competition only once.
3. Playwrights may submit only one manuscript per year.
4. Plays that have been professionally produced or published are not eligible. Plays that have had a workshop, reading, or non-professional production or that have been published as an actor’s edition will be considered.
5. Plays may not be under option, commissioned, or scheduled for professional production or publication at the time of submission.
6. Plays must be typed/word-processed, page-numbered, and in Yale Drama Series play format.
7. The Yale Drama Series reserves the right to reject any manuscript for any reason.
8. The Yale Drama Series reserves the right of the judge to not choose a winner for any given year of the competition and reserves the right to determine the ineligibility of a winner, in keeping with the spirit of the competition, and based upon the accomplishments of the author.
The Yale Drama Series Competition strongly urges electronic submission. By electronically submitting your script, you will receive immediate confirmation of your successful submission and the ability to check the status of your entry.
Electronic submissions for the 2018 competition must be submitted no earlier than June 1, 2017 and no later than August 15, 2017. The submission window closes at midnight EST.
If you are submitting your play electronically, please omit your name and contact information from your manuscript. The manuscript must begin with a title page that shows the play's title, a 2-3 sentence keynote description of the play, a list of characters, and a list of acts and scenes. Please enter the title of your play, your name and contact information (including address, phone number, and email address), and a brief biography where indicated in the electronic submission form.
If you would like to submit an electronic copy of your manuscript please go to: https://yup.submittable.com/submit.
The Yale Drama Series Competition strongly urges applicants to submit their scripts electronically, but if that is impossible, we will accept hardcopies.
Submissions for the 2018 competition must be postmarked no earlier than June 1, 2017 and no later than August 15, 2017.
If you are submitting a hard copy of your play, the manuscript must begin with a title page that shows the play's title and your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address (if you have one), page count, and (if applicable) a list of acknowledgments; and a second title page that lists the title of the play only, a 2-3 sentence keynote description of the play, a list of characters, and a list of acts and scenes. Please include a brief biography at the end of the manuscript, on a separate page.
Do not bind or staple the manuscript.
Do not send the only copy of your work. Manuscripts cannot be returned after the competition. If you wish receipt of your manuscript to be acknowledged, please include an email address on your title page or a stamped, self-addressed postcard.
Send the manuscript to Yale Drama Series, P.O. Box 209040, New Haven, CT 06520-9040.
For more information regarding the Yale Drama Series please write to us at:
Yale Drama Series
P.O. Box 209040
New Haven, CT
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
Sunday, August 6, 2017
- ► 2018 (503)
- Cooperative Performance call for submissions
- Irvington Town Hall (NY) Theater Stage Door Playwr...
- Seeking Provocative new Plays: The Owl and Cat The...
- SUBMISSIONS FOR STILL CRAZY: PART 2
- Sky Cooper New American Play Prize
- BETC’s New Play Development Program
- Urban Stages: SMALL CAST PLAYS
- Slingshot Reading Series
- Därkhorse Drämatists “Tales from the Script”
- Halloween Play Opportunity
- NEO Ensemble Theatre is accepting one act plays
- Four Quarter Theater seeks 10-minute plays
- Elliott Hayes Award for Outstanding Achievement in...
- New Ideas Festival 2018
- Manhattan Repertory Theatre is seeking fully produ...
- Residency - Writers Omi at Ledig House
- Blackboard Plays submission guidelines
- University Settlement Artists-in-Residence program...
- Online Writing Classes at Primary Stages ESPA!
- Soundwork Monologue competition
- Cecile’s Writers Magazine seeks plays
- Ticket give-away: COME LIGHT MY CIGARETTE
- Theatre Roulette 2018
- Discount tickets: COME LIGHT MY CIGARETTE
- Billie Burke Ziegfeld Award 2017
- FUNHOUSE II SCRIPT SUBMISSIONS: Original theatre i...
- Fellowships for Creative and Performing Artists an...
- La Mama Experiments Play Reading Series
- Woodside Players of Queens Fall 2017 Play Festival...
- Small Fish Radio Theatre Annual Horror Show 2017
- HERE Artist Residency Program
- The First Draft at Primary Stages ESPA!
- Henley Rose Playwriting Competition For Women (Kno...
- The Yale Drama Series is seeking submissions for i...
- Ivoryton Playhouse Women Playwrights’ Initiative
- An evening of Monologues & Shorts
- Lakeshore Players Theatre Active Voice: Staged Rea...
- Fall Writing Classes at Primary Stages ESPA!
- NAUGHTY READINGS - Lowell MA
- Villa Ruffieux Residency Valais Switzerland
- MILDRED and ALBERT PANOWSKI Playwriting Competitio...
- Players Theatre Short Play & Musical Festival - Bo...
- The Ten-Minute Musicals Project
- 2017 Playwrights and Artists Festival
- ▼ August (44)
- ► 2016 (514)
- ► 2015 (519)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)