Norton J. “Sky” Cooper established the New American Play Prize at Marin Theatre Company in 2007 to celebrate the work of the American playwright and to encourage the creation of bold, powerful new voices and plays for the American stage. The Sky Cooper Prize will be awarded annually to either an established or emerging playwright for an outstanding new work. The play selected as the Sky Cooper winner will receives a $10,000 award and a developmental workshop as part of the theater’s annual New Play Reading Series. The winning play will also be considered under option for a full production at MTC as part of the theater’s annual main stage season.
2017-18 Sky Cooper Play Prize Form
Submissions for the 2017-18 Sky Cooper New American Play Prize are open August 1-31, 2017.
Please complete the application form and upload your materials below.
SKY COOPER NEW AMERICAN PLAY PRIZE GUIDELINES:
• Submissions will be accepted from August 1-31, 2017.
• Submissions must use this online form; we do not accept submissions via email or standard post.
• Please upload your work sample as a PDF or Word document (.pdf or .doc/.docx) with a filename that includes your Last name, First name, and Title of Play.
Example filename: Wilson, August - Seven Guitars.pdf
• Please upload your professional recommendation as a PDF or Word doc (.pdf or .doc/.docx) with a filename that includes your Last name, First name, and Recommendation.
Example filename: Wilson, August - Recommendation.docx
• Submissions must be original, unpublished full-length plays in English in any genre.
• We do not consider musicals, translations, one-acts, or any play previously submitted for the prizes.
• We do not consider plays that have received or are scheduled for a full-scale, professional production prior to submission.
• Playwrights must be citizens of the United States.
• One play per playwright is allowed each year (if you submitted for the 2017-18 David Calicchio Prize, you must submit the same play for the Sky Cooper Prize).
• Playwrights submitting on their own behalf should submit a 10-page dialogue sample.
• Literary or theatrical agents may submit clients' full scripts for consideration.
• Sky Cooper submissions must include a professional recommendation, uploaded as a PDF or Word doc (.pdf or .doc/.docx)