Fall 2017 classes at Primary Stages ESPA are now open for enrollment! Here are just some of the classes in our lineup of opportunities in the writing department:Kara Lee Corthron (Writer, AliceGraceAnon at New Georges, "Kings" on NBC)If you're just stepping into the world of playwriting, welcome! Whether you're a theater artist boldly crossing the line from one discipline to another, a novelist or poet searching for a new form, or a budding playwright who wants to get down to basics, this class was made for you.This class will guide you through the development of your first draft, providing concrete deadlines, constructive feedback, and a collaborative environment that will encourage you to get your ideas on the page. Instructors include:Eddie Sanchez (Writer, Barefoot Boy with Shoes On at Primary Stages)Winter Miller (Writer, In Darfur at The Public Theater)Joshua Harmon (Writer, Significant Other on Broadway, Bad Jews at Roundabout Theater Company)Leah Nanako Winkler (Writer, Kentucky at EST)Crystal Skillman (Writer, Geek and Rain and Zoe Save the World)Michael Walkup (Producing Artistic Director, Page 73)Stefanie Zadravec (Writer, The Electric Baby at Two River Theatre Company)Whether you choose to embark on a rewrite of your entire play or focus on individual scenes, writing exercises and in-class discussion will inspire you to ask new questions of your play, look at it from various angles, and deconstruct it with your fellow writers. Writers will bring in 20 pages every other week, allowing you to really dive into the rhythm of your play.Melissa Ross (Of Good Stock at MTC, Nice Girl at Labyrinth)This class is for those with complete drafts who are ready to hear the play in full and embark on strategic rewrites. Over ten weeks, you will have the opportunity to hear your draft read aloud in its entirety twice. With your classmates and a company of Primary Stages ESPA actors, you’ll hear your draft read in the first half of the semester and then will have three weeks to revise your draft before the second reading.Kate Wetherhead (Writer, Director, Creator of "Submissions Only"; Actor, Broadway's Legally Blonde and ...Spelling Bee)Web series are short-form programming created especially for the internet and designed with the immediacy of the audience in mind. This digital marriage of screen and television writing is a platform for writers to do what they want, unrestricted by producers or censors and uniquely positioned to go viral for maximum exposure.Martyna Majok (Writer, Cost of Living at MTC, Ironbound at Rattlestick/Women's Project)This workshop will explore the ways in which "action" supports each of the essential building blocks of a play that summon a complete theatrical world. You will explore through exercises and discussion with the group how to effectively create dramatic action as it applies to the structure, pacing, and world of the play.Adam Kraar (Writer, New World Rhapsody at MTC, Wild Terrain at EST)This workshop will give you tools for navigating the landscape of new play development. You will learn strategies for setting workshop goals, tips for communicating about your play with collaborators and decision-makers, and the secrets of having a successful play reading.Sasha Eden (Actor, Producer, and Co-Founder of WET Productions)This workshop will guide you through each of the producing fundamentals: developing your concept, working with source material, participating in successful collaborations, merging entrepreneurial efforts with artistic inspiration, and the nuts and bolts of building a production company.Click here for the full list of writing classes.Our award-winning faculty, comprised of working professionals in the field, provides practical skills and expert guidance in a collaborative community atmosphere.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
Saturday, August 5, 2017
Fall Writing Classes at Primary Stages ESPA!
- ► 2018 (503)
- Cooperative Performance call for submissions
- Irvington Town Hall (NY) Theater Stage Door Playwr...
- Seeking Provocative new Plays: The Owl and Cat The...
- SUBMISSIONS FOR STILL CRAZY: PART 2
- Sky Cooper New American Play Prize
- BETC’s New Play Development Program
- Urban Stages: SMALL CAST PLAYS
- Slingshot Reading Series
- Därkhorse Drämatists “Tales from the Script”
- Halloween Play Opportunity
- NEO Ensemble Theatre is accepting one act plays
- Four Quarter Theater seeks 10-minute plays
- Elliott Hayes Award for Outstanding Achievement in...
- New Ideas Festival 2018
- Manhattan Repertory Theatre is seeking fully produ...
- Residency - Writers Omi at Ledig House
- Blackboard Plays submission guidelines
- University Settlement Artists-in-Residence program...
- Online Writing Classes at Primary Stages ESPA!
- Soundwork Monologue competition
- Cecile’s Writers Magazine seeks plays
- Ticket give-away: COME LIGHT MY CIGARETTE
- Theatre Roulette 2018
- Discount tickets: COME LIGHT MY CIGARETTE
- Billie Burke Ziegfeld Award 2017
- FUNHOUSE II SCRIPT SUBMISSIONS: Original theatre i...
- Fellowships for Creative and Performing Artists an...
- La Mama Experiments Play Reading Series
- Woodside Players of Queens Fall 2017 Play Festival...
- Small Fish Radio Theatre Annual Horror Show 2017
- HERE Artist Residency Program
- The First Draft at Primary Stages ESPA!
- Henley Rose Playwriting Competition For Women (Kno...
- The Yale Drama Series is seeking submissions for i...
- Ivoryton Playhouse Women Playwrights’ Initiative
- An evening of Monologues & Shorts
- Lakeshore Players Theatre Active Voice: Staged Rea...
- Fall Writing Classes at Primary Stages ESPA!
- NAUGHTY READINGS - Lowell MA
- Villa Ruffieux Residency Valais Switzerland
- MILDRED and ALBERT PANOWSKI Playwriting Competitio...
- Players Theatre Short Play & Musical Festival - Bo...
- The Ten-Minute Musicals Project
- 2017 Playwrights and Artists Festival
- ▼ August (44)
- ► 2016 (514)
- ► 2015 (519)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)