The Ziegfeld Club, one of New York City’s first performing arts charities to benefit women is proud to announce the second Billie Burke Ziegfeld Award to honor a female composer in musical theatre. The recipient will be honored in November 2017 at the New Amsterdam Theatre, and will receive a prestigious grant of $10,000 plus a year of professional mentorship. The recipient will be selected by an expert panel chosen by The Ziegfeld Club Board of Directors.
The grant which aims to celebrate an emerging female composer, or composer/lyricist who compellingly demonstrates outstanding artistic promise in musical theater composing was inspired by a noticeable lack of female composers being produced on Broadway today. The Ziegfeld Club enables the recipient to put the grant to the best use possible to help further the composer’s creative endeavors.
Download an application form for the 2017 Billie Burke Ziegfeld Award here!
The application for the Billie Burke Ziegfeld Award will be open from July 31st- September 8th 2017.here!
Finalist interviews will be held in person on September 22nd, 2017 in New York City. The recipient of the award will be notified in late September 2017.
Applications for the Billie Burke Ziegfeld Award must include the following:
1) Demo recordings of 3 contrasting songs from at least two separate works of musical
theater. Professional recordings are appreciated but not necessary. Piano-and-vocals are sufficient. The songs should be sent as individual MP3 files, and labeled with both the candidate’s name and the songs’ titles (Last Name, First Name- Title). Applicants retain all copyright of their work. Please do not submit live recordings.
2) Dramatic context and lyric sheets. Please include piano/vocal music, or scores if available.
3) An Artistic Statement of one page or less (no more than 500 words) describing your work in musical theater, and how the Billie Burke Ziegfeld Award will aid you in your artistic and professional goals.
4) A current Resume that lists your experience and production history as a musical theater composer. Applicants will be considered eligible as emerging artists if, in the judgment of the committee, they have not already received substantial recognition in American musical theater.
5) A completed Application Form.
Note: If you receive this grant, it will be awarded through Fractured Atlas, pending acceptance into their fiscal sponsorship program. For more information about Fractured Atlas and their fiscal sponsorship program, please visit www.fracturedatlas.org
To submit an application for the Billie Burke Ziegfeld Award, please send the required materials to: email@example.com
Frequently Asked Questions
Who should apply?
The BBZA is open to an emerging individual female composer, or individual composer- lyricist who compellingly demonstrates outstanding artistic promise in musical theater composing, and who can clearly show how the grant money and mentorship will further her artistic career.
When can I apply?
The application for the Billie Burke Ziegfeld Award will be open from July 31st- September 8th, 2017.
I’ve applied for the award in the past; can I apply again?
I write with a collaborative team. Can we apply together?
No, the BBZA Award is only open to an individual female composer or individual composer-lyricist.
Can I apply if I am still in school?
The BBZA award is not intended as a scholarship. Ideal candidates should be working professionals.
Are there any age restrictions?
No, although an ideal candidate must classify as emerging, meaning that they have not already received substantial recognition in American musical theater.
What are the criteria for selection?
The ability to show professional initiative, outstanding artistic promise in musical theater composing, and who can clearly show how the grant money and mentorship will further your artistic career.
Can the songs I submit be from different works?
Yes, they must be from at least two different works.
Can I still apply if I cannot be in New York City in September for an interview?
Yes, however, in person interviews are encouraged. A Skype interview can be arranged if necessary.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. LEARN MORE HERE.
- ► 2018 (546)
- Cooperative Performance call for submissions
- Irvington Town Hall (NY) Theater Stage Door Playwr...
- Seeking Provocative new Plays: The Owl and Cat The...
- SUBMISSIONS FOR STILL CRAZY: PART 2
- Sky Cooper New American Play Prize
- BETC’s New Play Development Program
- Urban Stages: SMALL CAST PLAYS
- Slingshot Reading Series
- Därkhorse Drämatists “Tales from the Script”
- Halloween Play Opportunity
- NEO Ensemble Theatre is accepting one act plays
- Four Quarter Theater seeks 10-minute plays
- Elliott Hayes Award for Outstanding Achievement in...
- New Ideas Festival 2018
- Manhattan Repertory Theatre is seeking fully produ...
- Residency - Writers Omi at Ledig House
- Blackboard Plays submission guidelines
- University Settlement Artists-in-Residence program...
- Online Writing Classes at Primary Stages ESPA!
- Soundwork Monologue competition
- Cecile’s Writers Magazine seeks plays
- Ticket give-away: COME LIGHT MY CIGARETTE
- Theatre Roulette 2018
- Discount tickets: COME LIGHT MY CIGARETTE
- Billie Burke Ziegfeld Award 2017
- FUNHOUSE II SCRIPT SUBMISSIONS: Original theatre i...
- Fellowships for Creative and Performing Artists an...
- La Mama Experiments Play Reading Series
- Woodside Players of Queens Fall 2017 Play Festival...
- Small Fish Radio Theatre Annual Horror Show 2017
- HERE Artist Residency Program
- The First Draft at Primary Stages ESPA!
- Henley Rose Playwriting Competition For Women (Kno...
- The Yale Drama Series is seeking submissions for i...
- Ivoryton Playhouse Women Playwrights’ Initiative
- An evening of Monologues & Shorts
- Lakeshore Players Theatre Active Voice: Staged Rea...
- Fall Writing Classes at Primary Stages ESPA!
- NAUGHTY READINGS - Lowell MA
- Villa Ruffieux Residency Valais Switzerland
- MILDRED and ALBERT PANOWSKI Playwriting Competitio...
- Players Theatre Short Play & Musical Festival - Bo...
- The Ten-Minute Musicals Project
- 2017 Playwrights and Artists Festival
- ▼ August (44)
- ► 2016 (514)
- ► 2015 (519)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)