The winning play will be selected by the series' current judge, Ayad Akhtar. The winner of this annual competition will be awarded the David Charles Horn Prize of $10,000, publication of his/her manuscript by Yale University Press, and a staged reading at Lincoln Center's Claire Tow Theater. The prize and publication are contingent on the playwright's agreeing to the terms of the publishing agreement.
There is no entry fee. Please follow these guidelines in preparing your manuscript:
1. This contest is restricted to plays written in the English language. Worldwide submissions are accepted.
2. Submissions must be original, unpublished full-length plays written in English. Translations, musicals, adaptations, and children's plays are not accepted. The Yale Drama Series is intended to support emerging playwrights. Playwrights may win the competition only once.
3. Playwrights may submit only one manuscript per year.
4. Plays that have been professionally produced or published are not eligible. Plays that have had a workshop, reading, or non-professional production or that have been published as an actor’s edition will be considered.
5. Plays may not be under option, commissioned, or scheduled for professional production or publication at the time of submission.
6. Plays must be typed/word-processed, page-numbered, and in Yale Drama Series play format.
7. The Yale Drama Series reserves the right to reject any manuscript for any reason.
8. The Yale Drama Series reserves the right of the judge to not choose a winner for any given year of the competition and reserves the right to determine the ineligibility of a winner, in keeping with the spirit of the competition, and based upon the accomplishments of the author.
The Yale Drama Series Competition strongly urges electronic submission. By electronically submitting your script, you will receive immediate confirmation of your successful submission and the ability to check the status of your entry.
Electronic submissions for the 2018 competition must be submitted no earlier than June 1, 2017 and no later than August 15, 2017. The submission window closes at midnight EST.
If you are submitting your play electronically, please omit your name and contact information from your manuscript. The manuscript must begin with a title page that shows the play's title, a 2-3 sentence keynote description of the play, a list of characters, and a list of acts and scenes. Please enter the title of your play, your name and contact information (including address, phone number, and email address), and a brief biography where indicated in the electronic submission form.
If you would like to submit an electronic copy of your manuscript please go to: https://yup.submittable.com/submit.
The Yale Drama Series Competition strongly urges applicants to submit their scripts electronically, but if that is impossible, we will accept hardcopies.
Submissions for the 2018 competition must be postmarked no earlier than June 1, 2017 and no later than August 15, 2017.
If you are submitting a hard copy of your play, the manuscript must begin with a title page that shows the play's title and your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address (if you have one), page count, and (if applicable) a list of acknowledgments; and a second title page that lists the title of the play only, a 2-3 sentence keynote description of the play, a list of characters, and a list of acts and scenes. Please include a brief biography at the end of the manuscript, on a separate page.
Do not bind or staple the manuscript.
Do not send the only copy of your work. Manuscripts cannot be returned after the competition. If you wish receipt of your manuscript to be acknowledged, please include an email address on your title page or a stamped, self-addressed postcard.
Send the manuscript to Yale Drama Series, P.O. Box 209040, New Haven, CT 06520-9040.
For more information regarding the Yale Drama Series please write to us at:
Yale Drama Series
P.O. Box 209040
New Haven, CT
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
Tuesday, June 13, 2017
- ► 2018 (508)
- 3GIRLS THEATRE "NEW WORKS FESTIVAL"
- Lakes Area Radio Theatre submission guidelines
- Därkhorse Drämatists “Tales from the Script”
- Public Theater Emerging Writers Group
- SUBURBAN HOLIDAYS 2017
- Classic Theater Harlem Reading Series submission g...
- The Robert J. Pickering Award for Playwriting Exce...
- 365 Women A Year: a playwriting project
- Lucky Penny 8 x 10 Festival of 10 Minute Plays
- The Players Follies Play Reading Festival
- Ivoryton Playhouse Women Playwrights’ Initiative
- Theatre Roulette 2018
- Best of Bolton seeks short plays
- Lakeshore Players Theatre Active Voice: Staged Rea...
- Fred Ebb Award
- The Lanesboro Jerome Artist Residency Program
- Submissions for 2017-2018 Scratchpad Series due Ju...
- An evening of Monologues & Shorts
- Caleb Reese Festival of New Plays and Musicals
- Rewrite Your Play this Summer Online with Primary ...
- The Lark's Jerome New York Fellowship 2018-19
- Stella Adler Academy of Acting & Theatre seeks pla...
- One Company Writers Residency Retreat
- New Voices Series seeking short Halloween themed s...
- 2017 Playwrights and Artists Festival
- MadLab seeks full-length plays
- The Ten-Minute Musicals Project
- MILDRED and ALBERT PANOWSKI Playwriting Competitio...
- Women Playwrights International commission opportu...
- Cimientos 2017
- DVRF Playwrights Program seeks full-length plays
- Scratch Night at TNC
- North Park Playwright Festival 2017
- Ismena Collective seeks playwright
- Next Gen musicals for young audiences submission g...
- PLAYWRIGHTS' LAB ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR MEMBER...
- The Yale Drama Series is seeking submissions for i...
- Script Submissions: 21st Century Voices
- My Irish Love Song seeks monologues
- NYSUMMERFEST PLAYWRIGHT/MUSICAL/ONE ACT/ SHORT FES...
- UCB Training Center Scholarships/Fellowships
- Calling New Playwrights! Fundamentals of Playwriti...
- Apothetae at Lark Playwriting Fellowship
- TSSF Journal submissions
- The Future of Artificial Intelligence and Conflict...
- NEWvember Dublin New Play Festival
- BMI Theater Workshop Applications
- Thespian Production is seeking one-act plays
- CALL FOR SHORT PLAYS about gay hookups
- Join the NYCPlaywrights Mailing List
- SENIOR THEATRE PLAYS, BOOKS, AND MATERIALS NEEDED
- Online Television Writing at Primary Stages ESPA
- Women in the Age of Trump: SEARCH TEAM (excerpt) b...
- Acadians Repertory Theatre seeks full-length work ...
- Talking Stick Festival 2017
- ▼ June (56)
- ► 2016 (514)
- ► 2015 (519)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)