Welcome 2017 playwrights! We are entering our third year of writing pieces about 365 historical women a year! We would love to have you write with us.
PLAYS DUE DECEMBER 31, 2017 (There are no extensions.)
DIRECTIONS TO PARTICIPATE: (Please read these 4 steps carefully)
FIRST STEP: Choose a woman or women to write about. We are looking for 365 NEW women that our project has not yet covered. We do not accept repeats from previous years yet. You can make sure you don’t claim a repeat by searching through our historical women alphabetically. If you are not sure who to write about, scroll down for a list of available women.
Once you have chosen some options, you will fill out the 2017 CLAIM FORM. You will be asked to choose at least 3 options, in case your lady has already been claimed.
SECOND STEP: You will receive a confirmation (or denial) email. You are not officially writing about anyone until you have received this confirmation email from email@example.com. It can take up to three weeks to get a confirmation email depending on the volume of claims we receive.
THIRD STEP: Happy writing. If at any point throughout the year, you get a hankering to write about someone else, simply fill out a new claim form.
Plays can be any length, any number of characters, any language, any genre (musicals included), and the playwriting format you are most comfortable with. PLEASE INCLUDE A LIST OF CHARACTERS at the beginning of the play.
FOURTH STEP: Submitting your piece. Please follow the directions, as your piece will not be officially submitted otherwise.
You will email your piece to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow the directions below:
(1) In the subject line you will put: 2017/Name of historical woman/Play Title/Page Number/Your Name. (If you have many historical women in your piece, simply write “MANY WOMEN” in place of the name of the historical women in the subject line.)
(2) Include YOUR 100 word playwriting bio in the BODY of the email
(3) Write out your historical/play info to be searchable on the website in the following format:
***Each historical woman needs to be listed separately, include ANY existing woman who appears in your piece, even if you didn’t specifically claim them.****
Alexandra David-Neel- “Adventuress Adventurous”(10 pages)/Playwright: Deborah Magid (2017)
Alexandra David-Neel (Writer, Explorer,S inger)/Playwright: Deborah Magid
Century they were Born: (If you can’t find exact dates just put the century)
Alexandra David-Neel (1868-1969)/Playwright: Deborah Magid
By Play Info: (just written out once with all the women in history listed after “inspired by”)
“Adventuress Adventurous” by: Deborah Magid (3 characters/10 pages) Inspired by: Alexandra David-Néel (2017)
(4) Attach your play as a PDF and submit!
You can always email us if you have any questions. Please understand, that your bio won’t be listed on the web site until your play is turned in and processed.
ANSWERS TO FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
*You can write about as many women as you want and they can all be in the same piece, or separate pieces. It is okay if the piece is simply about the historical woman or women, but they don’t appear.
*Any length welcome from 2 pages-full length. Any number of characters. Any language. Any genre. Musicals included.
*Plays are due Dec 31st of 2017. No extensions.
* You are always allowed to revise your piece. When you do, email it again with REVISION/Play title/Playwright/Year in the subject line and the revised piece attached as a PDF.
*Women MUST have existed. *They can be living or dead. *Our plays are loosely based on these historical figures.
*Yes, we plan to do this every year.
*You retain ALL rights to your pieces and may submit them anytime and anywhere you want to. When one of your 365 pieces gets produced, we will put it on the web site and tweet about it! Nothing will be done with your play without your discretion. If a theatre wants to produce your piece, we will contact you. While the play info is searchable, interested parties cannot read your piece unless you give permission.
*We have had festivals all over the world and appeared in The Dramatist. We have playwrights from all over the world participating.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- ► 2018 (508)
- 3GIRLS THEATRE "NEW WORKS FESTIVAL"
- Lakes Area Radio Theatre submission guidelines
- Därkhorse Drämatists “Tales from the Script”
- Public Theater Emerging Writers Group
- SUBURBAN HOLIDAYS 2017
- Classic Theater Harlem Reading Series submission g...
- The Robert J. Pickering Award for Playwriting Exce...
- 365 Women A Year: a playwriting project
- Lucky Penny 8 x 10 Festival of 10 Minute Plays
- The Players Follies Play Reading Festival
- Ivoryton Playhouse Women Playwrights’ Initiative
- Theatre Roulette 2018
- Best of Bolton seeks short plays
- Lakeshore Players Theatre Active Voice: Staged Rea...
- Fred Ebb Award
- The Lanesboro Jerome Artist Residency Program
- Submissions for 2017-2018 Scratchpad Series due Ju...
- An evening of Monologues & Shorts
- Caleb Reese Festival of New Plays and Musicals
- Rewrite Your Play this Summer Online with Primary ...
- The Lark's Jerome New York Fellowship 2018-19
- Stella Adler Academy of Acting & Theatre seeks pla...
- One Company Writers Residency Retreat
- New Voices Series seeking short Halloween themed s...
- 2017 Playwrights and Artists Festival
- MadLab seeks full-length plays
- The Ten-Minute Musicals Project
- MILDRED and ALBERT PANOWSKI Playwriting Competitio...
- Women Playwrights International commission opportu...
- Cimientos 2017
- DVRF Playwrights Program seeks full-length plays
- Scratch Night at TNC
- North Park Playwright Festival 2017
- Ismena Collective seeks playwright
- Next Gen musicals for young audiences submission g...
- PLAYWRIGHTS' LAB ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR MEMBER...
- The Yale Drama Series is seeking submissions for i...
- Script Submissions: 21st Century Voices
- My Irish Love Song seeks monologues
- NYSUMMERFEST PLAYWRIGHT/MUSICAL/ONE ACT/ SHORT FES...
- UCB Training Center Scholarships/Fellowships
- Calling New Playwrights! Fundamentals of Playwriti...
- Apothetae at Lark Playwriting Fellowship
- TSSF Journal submissions
- The Future of Artificial Intelligence and Conflict...
- NEWvember Dublin New Play Festival
- BMI Theater Workshop Applications
- Thespian Production is seeking one-act plays
- CALL FOR SHORT PLAYS about gay hookups
- Join the NYCPlaywrights Mailing List
- SENIOR THEATRE PLAYS, BOOKS, AND MATERIALS NEEDED
- Online Television Writing at Primary Stages ESPA
- Women in the Age of Trump: SEARCH TEAM (excerpt) b...
- Acadians Repertory Theatre seeks full-length work ...
- Talking Stick Festival 2017
- ▼ June (56)
- ► 2016 (514)
- ► 2015 (519)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)