No deadline. Year-round submissions accepted.
It begins with submitting your play and being selected for step 1 of our process - a staged reading. Out of hundreds of submissions a year, we select 15-20 plays for readings. From these, we select 1-3 plays annually to go on to our workshopping phase. Our workshops are meant to prepare a play for our Off-Broadway stage. From our workshops, we select 1-2 plays for full productions, complete with a playwright’s contract and compensation (separate from the award).
Our $500 Emerging Playwright Award (coupled with press coverage) is given to playwrights who show excellence and dedication throughout this process – from development to the stage.
Submit plays to:
555 Eighth Avenue, RM 1800
New York, NY 10018
Email submissions will not be accepted.
Full-length plays only:
- scripts must be firmly bound
- No changes or revisions accepted after submission
- No double-sided pages.
- 7 actors or less (unless otherwise noted)…doubling is fine
With your submission, please include:
- Biography and/or author’s history of the play
- Character breakdown
- Brief synopsis of the play.
- A small SASE envelope for a response letter.
*Whole plays will no longer be returned. All plays will be recycled.
Plays MAY HAVE BEEN developed or produced elsewhere, BUT NEVER PRODUCED in New York City.
There is no limit to submissions.
Subject matter and character variations are open.
There is no submission fee.
It usually takes up to six months for us to read and process your script.
We ask that you do not call or email our offices to inquire on the status of your play.
Plays from overseas and throughout the United States are accepted and considered.
BUT special attention will be given to playwrights who live in or near New York.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. LEARN MORE HERE.
Thursday, February 23, 2017
- ► 2018 (546)
- The Anna Zornio Children's Theatre Playwriting Awa...
- The Princeton Theatre Group New Works Festival - ...
- Chagrin Valley 10-10 FESTIVAL SCRIPT SUBMISSION
- UN-CHARTED NEW WORKS FESTIVAL
- Helen McCloy Scholarship
- Mixed Blood Submission Guidelines
- ANNOUNCING PLAYFEST 2017 NEW PLAY SUBMISSIONS
- Moonlit Wings International Playwright Contest 201...
- *CALLING FEMALE PLAYWRIGHTS* The Future Is Female ...
- Urban Stages Emerging Playwright Award Submission ...
- Woodward/Newman Drama Award
- Adapt your Play (or any material) into a Screenpla...
- HUDSON THEATRE WORKS IS LOOKING FOR PLAY SUBMISSIO...
- Script Submissions for Playwrights’ Revolution
- Celebration Barn Residency
- THE PLAYWRIGHTS GROUP — A WEEKLY WORKSHOP
- Yale Repertory Theatre submission guidelines
- The First Draft at Primary Stages
- JANE CHAMBERS PLAYWRITING AWARD
- MANHATTAN REP'S PLAY PRODUCTION PROGRAM
- FROM PAGE TO STAGE
- New Light Theater Project Darkroom 13
- EVCT Aspiring Playwrights Contest 2017
- Bacchanalia 2017 New Play Readings Festival
- New Aesthetics two-week summer intensive
- Headwaters call for submissions
- Park Plays Festival
- Prism Festival
- Discount Tickets: THE VIEW UPSTAIRS
- Screenwriting Structure at Primary Stages ESPA
- BIG APPLE THEATER FESTIVAL
- Panglossian Playwrights submission guidelines
- 2017 Jerome Emerging Artists Residency (August) - ...
- Bad Theater Fest Philadelphia
- Watermelon One-Act Festival (Baltimore MD)
- Online Writing Classes at Primary Stages
- Seeking Ten Minute Plays for the 5th Annual Take T...
- MITF: Summer
- Fantastic.Z 2017 New Works Festival
- ▼ February (39)
- ► 2016 (514)
- ► 2015 (519)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)