SUBMISSIONS for the 2017 season open NOW through 7/31/16
Devoted solely to producing new and original work, we are particularly interested in bold and innovative plays that are challenging and entertaining.
We are seeking unproduced original work, adaptations of films and novels, translations and adaptations of classic works, musicals, comedies, tragedies, melodramas, kitchen sink musical comedies, operas, light operas, operettas, soft rock operas, heavy metal boulevard farces and many other forms hitherto unknown.
If you can imagine it, then we will make it happen.
We are open to any genre, with a special emphasis on genres that are often neglected in theater such as science fiction, adventure, superhero epics and cross-genre works, immersive environmental plays, or pieces that are truly “uncategorizable”!
While we are looking to nurture and develop local artists we are also open to giving voice to artists across Texas and to other artists national and international.
We are, in short, looking for exciting plays that will move the audience of today and perhaps be a beacon to audiences of the future.
Located between the Pearl Brewery complex and the San Antonio Museum of Art, the Overtime has been voted the favorite theater of readers of the San Antonio Current for six years in a row. The Overtime is home to two performing spaces, one of which is small while the other is quite cozy.
Currently we do not have a stipend for playwrights. Writers, directors, cast and crew are all compensated through an equal share of audience contributions and other donations to the “love bucket” which is divided at the end of a production’s run. Artistic staff and the board of the Overtime are all volunteers.
This is not an ideal situation, and it is hardly reflective of the value we believe art should have, but it is as fair and democratic a way we have of ensuring the survival of a theater for the people and by the people.
Guidelines for up to 2 submitted works
Please submit your plays in PDF format.
We will accept full-length plays, “one-acts” and even shorter works that may be combined with other authors’ works for a full program.
We will even consider cycles of plays or anything else you can come up with.
We will accept submissions for serial pieces with the following requirements.
1. A completed pilot episode.
2. A series bible that defines characters and story arcs and an outline of the total run of the series.
3. A detailed synopsis for each of the following episodes.
4. An outline of the plan for scheduled completion of the serial season.
Movement Based Pieces/Improvisational pieces/Devised Pieces
We will consider forms of performance that are not “traditional” plays.
For these we will consider them in several forms.
1. For choreographic pieces (dance, ballet, etc.) we will consider pieces with a descriptive text.
2. If the artist is proposing to direct/perform then we will also like to see a sample of previous work and a full CV in addition to a descriptive synopsis of the piece.
3. For improvisational/devised pieces we will consider them based on a descriptive concept statement along with a full account of the process by which the proposed piece will be created.
In addition to the above we will consider other options for a play or performance that is not covered here. Please contact us with your proposals.
Again, if you can imagine it, then we will consider it.
How to Submit
In an effort to be ecologically responsible, the Overtime Theater accepts scripts with all materials (PDF format please) in one email (use link below) no later than 7/31/16. You may submit up to two works.
Please do not email us asking if we received your play, when we will read it or if we will get back to you. Last year we received over 900 submissions and as you can imagine we are very busy reading them all. Yes, all of them. If your work is chosen you will be contacted.
Send submission to firstname.lastname@example.org and the subject should be Creative Work Submission
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. Learn more here.
- ► 2018 (503)
- ► 2017 (662)
- T. Schreiber Theatre seeks 10-minute plays
- Crossing Borders Repertory – Fall Reading
- DEATHSCRIBE: The Annual International Festival of ...
- The Bridge Initiative is accepting new plays and m...
- NYCPlaywrights readers poll results
- 2016 Playwrights and Artists Festival
- Park Playhouse seeking new musicals
- Fall Writing Classes at Primary Stages ESPA!
- London Horror Festival 2016
- Ars Nova Residency
- Still Crazy (After All These Years!)
- David Calicchio Emerging American Playwright Prize...
- Lagos Literary and Arts Journal submission guideli...
- Generate 31 New Plays in 31 Days
- Seeking short plays for young audiences
- MRT - THE AUGUST EVENT
- Can Serrat Residency
- Free reading: PUSH DOWN GENTLY AND TURN
- Caleb Reese Festival of New Plays and Musicals
- Monsterpiece Theater Collective is seeking new pla...
- Five Minute Mile – Theatre on the Run
- Discount tickets: VISITING HOURS
- Cimientos 2016
- MRT'S Summer One Act Play Competition seeks immedi...
- Discount tickets: A DAY AT THE SEA
- Lucky Penny's 5th Annual Festival of 10 Minute Pla...
- MPAACT is seeking submissions
- Nylon Fusion Theatre Company currently accepting s...
- 2017 Briefs: A Festival of Short LGBTQ Plays
- Infinity Stage, Sound & Film seeks scripts
- Overtime Theater Call for Submissions
- play for voices and words without borders contest
- Manhattan Repertory Theatre's 10 Minute play Conte...
- Discount tickets: HYSTERICAL
- NEW DRAMATISTS RESIDENCY
- North Park Playwright Festival 2016
- SEEKING SUBMISSIONS "SUMMER OF AUDIO"
- Sound Bites 4.0 Accepting Submissions
- Free reading in New Jersey: UNBOUND
- The Amoralists Residency
- LIVEART NYC SUMMER SHORTS 2016
- The Players Follies Play Reading Festival
- The Paragon Journal wants your play
- PLAY DATE: SUMMER 2016 - seeking female playwright...
- Wordsmyth Play Reading Series
- Call for original short Halloween plays by tri-sta...
- MRTʼs SUMMER ONE ACT PLAY COMPETITION 2016
- ▼ July (48)
- ► 2015 (519)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)