Beginning September 1, PlayPenn will be accepting applications for its 2016 new play development conference; we are pleased to request your full length, unproduced script for consideration. Please review the guidelines carefully and completely before making application. Application materials will be accepted between September 1 and September 30, 2015. Your application must be uploaded and complete by September 30, 2015 or it cannot be considered. Currently, PlayPenn is not considering musicals or plays for young audiences.
The 2016 conference will be held in Philadelphia, PA from July 7 – 26 at The Drake, our new home in Philadelphia, PA. Invited playwrights will have the opportunity to work with a director, dramaturg and Philadelphia-based, professional actors over a 20 day period that allows for 29 hours of rehearsal and staged reading time along with ample time to reflect and write. The work will be preceded by a three- day pre-conference roundtable (July 5 - 7) that will help in laying the collaborative groundwork for the development time ahead.
Playwrights will have the opportunity to hear their plays read aloud in three distinctly different scenarios: 1) by collaborating artists during the roundtable; 2) in a first public reading before an audience midway through the process; 3) in a second reading at the end of the process before an audience. The two public staged readings are intended as a part of the process, giving playwrights an opportunity to measure the efficacy of their work and to provide an opportunity to gauge the work ahead.
PlayPenn will provide travel for casting for both writer and director, travel to and from the conference, housing, per diem and a stipend.
Applicants should be aware that we are a development conference rather than a festival or showcase for new work. The distinction is important and meaningful to us in the current climate of the increasing commercialization of play development. We work to avoid participation in what has become known as "development hell" by fostering an environment in which risk is rewarded and honest assessment is provided and encouraged. TO THAT END, WE FOCUS ON THE NEEDS OF THE TEXT. THE MID AND END-OF- CONFERENCE READINGS ARE INTENDED TO PRESENT A GLIMPSE INTO HOW THE TEXT LIVES OFF THE PAGE RATHER THAN HOW THE PLAY MIGHT BE STAGED IN PRODUCTION.
TO APPLY, CLICK HERE
Please follow the instructions to upload your play into our system. Because the database identifies you through your registration, NO NAME SHOULD BE INCLUDED ON ANY DOCUMENT, except your resume. Please send us the following:
1. An original script in .pdf format with no identifying information (no name or affiliation information anywhere on the document).
Applications that are submitted in non-pdf format will not be considered
2. Your current resume (pdf)
3. A casting breakdown and the number of actors required (pdf) (no name on the document)
4. The play's development and production history (pdf) (no name onthe document).
Plays that have had readings are eligible.
Plays that have been produced or that have been through an extended development process are not eligible
5. An articulation of your goals for the development process using the resources offered by PlayPenn. (pdf) (no name on the document). Please be specific with regard to what aspects of your text you would like to focus on during the course of the conference.
PlayPenn does not accept applications by agents.
Your application must be uploaded and complete by midnight
September 30, 2015 or it cannot be considered.
We look forward to reading your work.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. LEARN MORE HERE.
- ► 2018 (546)
- ► 2017 (662)
- ► 2016 (514)
- Clubbed Thumb 2015 BIENNIAL COMMISSION
- The Fine Arts Association seeks 10-minute plays
- Playwrights' Roundtable seeks 10 minute plays
- M. T. Pockets Theatre Company 3rd Annual 10 Minute...
- Mabou Mines/Suite Resident Artist Program
- THEATRE ROULETTE
- Lourdes University Drama Society 2015 One-Act Play...
- Metropolitan Playhouse Living Literature Festival:...
- PlayPenn accepting applications for 2016 new play ...
- Call for Plays - Bellarmine University Internation...
- ARTISTIC STATEMENT WORKSHOP
- Free theater in Chicago: ROMEO & JULIET
- TSW-READERS THEATRE - CALL FOR SCRIPTS
- A FESTIVAL OF 10-MINUTE PLAYS
- 2nd Winters Playwrights Retreat
- Theatre Three Festival of One-Act Plays
- Discount tickets: THE HUMANS - $10 tickets
- Jonathan Larson Grants
- Oregon Contemporary Theatre submission guidelines
- Take Ten Festival
- New American Voices Play Reading Series
- National Playwright Residency Program Application ...
- Developmental Reading Series - Queer First Drafts ...
- The October Event Manhattan Repertory Theatre
- WOMEN’S PLAY FEST CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
- FIFTH ANNUAL SANITY IS FOR SUCKERS
- Write For Young Audiences
- Open Call for original unpublished Short Plays & S...
- THE HELEN-JEAN PRIZE
- Babes with Blades submission guidelines
- The City Theatre National Award for Short Playwrit...
- The Exit 7 New Short Play Contest
- 2015 Short Play Festival
- Playwrights: Submit Your Solo Pieces for ROAR
- Lama Theater Company and the Playwrights Project
- Thunderclap Productions submission guidelines
- Solo Performance
- MBS Productions submission guidelines
- Queer Scare II
- PLAYWRIGHTS FIRST seek full-length plays
- SHORT PLAY DEVELOPMENT PROJECT
- AMY’S HORSE - A NEW THEATRE PODCAST
- The Secret Theater’s Flying Solo Festival
- Between Us Productions is seeking full-length play...
- University of Houston 10-Minute Play Festival Call...
- ▼ September (45)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)