The Human Stage and Creede Repertory Theatre (CRT) are welcoming writers to their community in Colorado for their 2nd Winters Playwrights Retreat.
Last winter, 10 playwrights from throughout the country accepted our invitation for an extraordinary creative retreat. This year, we are extending 25 invitations. We want to share our winter with any playwright or group of artist who seek a place to recharge and create.
That’s right. Nestled in between the cliffs of this winter wonderland is a Lord D Theatre boasting some of the best performances in the United States. But they only have a summer season, so Human Stage and CRT want to use the serenity and creative energy of the Rocky Mountains to set the stage for new play development. You’ll stay in CRT housing, meet with artistic staff, enjoy dinner with staff and friends, and potentially have an opportunity to have your play read out loud by actors who have stayed the winter.
Details: You are welcome to stay and write for one week (Sunday through Saturday) December 7 –February 6. The retreat is divided into solo weeks and two group weeks. We want you to use this time for writing, networking and recharging. This is not a competition. We want you to create.
Two kinds of readings will occur:
1. If you choose, you may elect to have your play read by actors in an intimate salon setting. Afterward, you will receive feedback from the actors, staff and invited guest. We do not expect your work to be completed. In some cases, you may only have a few scenes in development if any. The reading could be at the beginning or end of your stay. Our goal is not to judge your work, but to provide you feedback for its development.
2. Four writers will have the option to do two public readings of work further along in the development life cycle. As in the salon readings, there will be a discussion after the reading but this discussion will also include the public. We encourage you to use the feedback and go back into writing mode. The public will be asked to come back at the end of the week and hear the results.
Artists whose works are ready, may be encouraged to submit a piece to CRT’s Headwater’s Festival for new works.
As an added bonus, we may also be joined by two technology firms. The Human Stage is extending invitations to technology firms that are changing the world. Their executives will be here to recharge and innovate and dream as well. Midweek, they will present to you their vision for social innovation. As with the readings, you will have opportunities to provide feedback. Afterward, you will spend 30 minutes creating a “mini message” and perhaps establish a new relationship that can benefit both of you.
If you can get yourself here and get yourself fed, we’ll provide the gorgeous scenery, and accommodations. You are welcome to bring actors, director or co-creators with you – for readings or planning pow wows.
Wanna know more about us? The internet has the answers!
To apply for your “week of writing getaway,” contact Ann at firstname.lastname@example.org . Introduce yourself professionally and personally, and include details on what you’ll be writing and the dates you would be interested in staying.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. LEARN MORE HERE.
- ► 2018 (546)
- ► 2017 (662)
- ► 2016 (514)
- Clubbed Thumb 2015 BIENNIAL COMMISSION
- The Fine Arts Association seeks 10-minute plays
- Playwrights' Roundtable seeks 10 minute plays
- M. T. Pockets Theatre Company 3rd Annual 10 Minute...
- Mabou Mines/Suite Resident Artist Program
- THEATRE ROULETTE
- Lourdes University Drama Society 2015 One-Act Play...
- Metropolitan Playhouse Living Literature Festival:...
- PlayPenn accepting applications for 2016 new play ...
- Call for Plays - Bellarmine University Internation...
- ARTISTIC STATEMENT WORKSHOP
- Free theater in Chicago: ROMEO & JULIET
- TSW-READERS THEATRE - CALL FOR SCRIPTS
- A FESTIVAL OF 10-MINUTE PLAYS
- 2nd Winters Playwrights Retreat
- Theatre Three Festival of One-Act Plays
- Discount tickets: THE HUMANS - $10 tickets
- Jonathan Larson Grants
- Oregon Contemporary Theatre submission guidelines
- Take Ten Festival
- New American Voices Play Reading Series
- National Playwright Residency Program Application ...
- Developmental Reading Series - Queer First Drafts ...
- The October Event Manhattan Repertory Theatre
- WOMEN’S PLAY FEST CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
- FIFTH ANNUAL SANITY IS FOR SUCKERS
- Write For Young Audiences
- Open Call for original unpublished Short Plays & S...
- THE HELEN-JEAN PRIZE
- Babes with Blades submission guidelines
- The City Theatre National Award for Short Playwrit...
- The Exit 7 New Short Play Contest
- 2015 Short Play Festival
- Playwrights: Submit Your Solo Pieces for ROAR
- Lama Theater Company and the Playwrights Project
- Thunderclap Productions submission guidelines
- Solo Performance
- MBS Productions submission guidelines
- Queer Scare II
- PLAYWRIGHTS FIRST seek full-length plays
- SHORT PLAY DEVELOPMENT PROJECT
- AMY’S HORSE - A NEW THEATRE PODCAST
- The Secret Theater’s Flying Solo Festival
- Between Us Productions is seeking full-length play...
- University of Houston 10-Minute Play Festival Call...
- ▼ September (45)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)