WHAT IS THE UMASS AMHERST NEW PLAY LAB?
The Play Lab is a UMass Department of Theater mainstage production, running from March 20 – April 2, 2016. One playwright will be chosen for a two week residency during this period. These residencies are structured around a series of public staged readings directed and dramaturged by UMass Amherst graduate students and performed by undergraduate actors. The two week workshop term allows time for exploration in rehearsal and the generation of new material.
WHAT IS THE UMASS AMHERST NEW PLAY LAB’S MISSION?
Our mission this year is to develop two exceptional new plays: one from our current visiting artist Kim Euell, and the other selected through this call. The Play Lab is process oriented, focusing on an experience that is educational, exploratory, and collaborative. The workshops will have minimal technical/design support, but the emphasis will be on presenting and responding to the text. The UMass Amherst Department of Theater's commitment to new play development is internationally recognized, from our groundbreaking work with New WORLD Theater to our recent collaborations with artists like MJ Kaufman, Michael Yates Crowley, Will Power, Marcus Gardley, and Constance Congdon. We approach new play development with rigor and sensitivity and we're seeking playwrights who are as passionate about this process as we are.
WHAT SUPPORT DOES THE UMASS AMHERST NEW PLAY LAB PROVIDE?
We offer a $750 honorarium per playwright. Accommodations will be provided. Playwrights are responsible for booking their travel arrangements, and will be reimbursed for a portion of the cost. The playwright may be asked to give a playwriting workshop to students for an additional honorarium.
WHAT IS EXPECTED OF PLAYWRIGHTS DURING RESIDENCY?
The playwright is expected to be in residency for the full 2 week workshop period. During this time, the playwright may provide as many changes as desired. The playwright is expected to attend nightly rehearsals and the three readings. The playwright can choose to participate in audience talkbacks. Playwrights may be asked to meet or discuss the play with the team prior to residency as available.
WHAT KINDS OF PLAYS CAN I SUBMIT?
Plays must be full-length. Musicals are not accepted. Submissions may have had a previous reading, workshop, or production; as a rule, though, the Play Lab exists to develop relatively new work, so unproduced material will be given priority in our selection.
This year we are specifically seeking plays and playwrights that:
offer something fresh, bold, or even dangerous in their form, style, or themes
center around issues relevant to a campus community
will benefit from a workshop with undergraduate performers and graduate student staff
may give voice to underrepresented communities (e.g. LGBTQA folks, people of color, women, etc.)
HOW DO I SUBMIT MY PLAY(S)?
Submit manuscripts to firstname.lastname@example.org. All documents must be submitted in .pdf format; plays formatted otherwise will be disqualified. Please include a concise playwright’s bio and a short summary of how you think your play might benefit from a developmental reading.
Submissions will be capped at 250 plays.
WHAT IS THE SUBMISSION DEADLINE?
The deadline is Monday, August 3, 2015.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. LEARN MORE HERE.
- ► 2018 (546)
- ► 2017 (662)
- ► 2016 (514)
- Diez Minutos 2016 seeks 10-minute plays
- Primary Stages Einhorn School of Performing Arts (...
- Generations residency
- Talos Science Fiction Theatre Festival Call for Sc...
- Bread & Roses Theatre Company seeks short plays
- DEATHSCRIBE 2015
- Hijabi Monologues
- Studio C Artists Holiday Show
- FUTURE TEN FESTIVAL OF 10-MINUTE PLAYS
- Overtime Theater Call for Submissions 2016
- 2016 David Calicchio Emerging American Playwright ...
- Discount tickets: MRS. SMITH'S BROADWAY CAT-TACULA...
- 10 by 10 x 10 Ten Minute Play Festival
- The August Event
- THIRD ANNUAL UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS- AMHERST ...
- Fall Playwriting Classes at ESPA!
- Pipeline submission guidelines
- Upright Citizen's Brigade Diversity Scholarship
- London Horror Festival
- Call for original short plays by playwrights from ...
- 4th Annual nuVoices New Play Festival
- RADD Theatre Co call for submissions
- The Yale Drama Series is seeking submissions for i...
- LIC One Act Festival 2015
- The Hormel Festival of New Plays and Musicals 201...
- Nylon Fusion Theatre Company is currently acceptin...
- 1812 Productions Submission Guidelines
- July Short Play Lab
- Cutler Bay Community Theater 2015 Ten-Minute Play...
- New Jersey Playwrights Contest of William Paterson...
- New Play-Reading Festival Script Submission Deadli...
- PICK OF THE VINE – Season 14 (2016)
- The Players Follies Group seeks 10-minute plays
- Accepting submissions for Lama Theater Company’s M...
- Nerve Lantern submissions: Yoko Ono
- Playhouse Creatures submission guidelines
- Random Access Workshop Readings
- Roister Doister Publishing seeks plays for young p...
- ▼ July (38)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)