The Yale Drama Series is seeking submissions for its 2016 playwriting competition. The winning play will be selected by the series' current judge, distinguished playwright Nicholas Wright. The winner of this annual competition will be awarded the David Charles Horn Prize of $10,000, publication of his/her manuscript by Yale University Press, and a staged reading at Lincoln Center Theater. The prize and publication are contingent on the playwright’s agreeing to the terms of the publishing agreement.
There is no application form or entry fee. Please follow these guidelines in preparing your manuscript:
1. This contest is restricted to plays written in the English language. Worldwide submissions are accepted.
2. Submissions must be original, unpublished full-length plays written in English. Translations, musicals, and children's plays are not accepted. The Yale Drama Series is intended to support emerging playwrights. Playwrights may win the competition only once.
3. Playwrights may submit only one manuscript per year.
4. Plays that have been professionally produced or published are not eligible. Plays that have had a workshop, reading, or non-professional production or that have been published as an actor’s edition will be considered.
5. Plays may not be under option or scheduled for professional production or publication at the time of submission.
6. Plays must be typed/word-processed, page-numbered, and in standard professional play format.
7. The Yale Drama Series reserves the right to reject any manuscript for any reason.
8. The Yale Drama Series reserves the right of the judge to not choose a winner for any given year of the competition and reserves the right to determine the ineligibility of a winner, in keeping with the spirit of the competition, and based upon the accomplishments of the author.
The Yale Drama Series Competition strongly urges electronic submission. By electronically submitting your script, you will receive immediate confirmation of your successful submission and the ability to check the status of your entry.
Electronic submissions for the 2016 competition must be submitted no earlier than June 1, 2015 and no later than August 15, 2015.
If you are submitting your play electronically, please omit your name and contact information from your manuscript. The manuscript must begin with a title page that shows the play's title, a 2-3 sentence keynote description of the play, a list of characters, and a list of acts and scenes. Please enter the title of your play, your name and contact information (including address, phone number, and email address), and a brief biography (optional) where indicated in the electronic submission form.
If you would like to submit an electronic copy of your manuscript please go to:https://yup.submittable.com/submit.
The Yale Drama Series Competition strongly urges applicants to submit their scripts electronically, but if that is impossible, we will accept hardcopies.
Submissions for the 2016 competition must be postmarked no earlier than June 1, 2015 and no later than August 15, 2015.
If you are submitting a hard copy of your play, the manuscript must begin with a title page that shows the play's title and your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address (if you have one), page count, and (if applicable) a list of acknowledgments; and a second title page that lists the title of the play only, a 2-3 sentence keynote description of the play, a list of characters, and a list of acts and scenes. A brief biography may be included at the end of the manuscript, on a separate page, but is not required.Do not bind or staple the manuscript.
Do not send the only copy of your work. Manuscripts cannot be returned after the competition. If you wish receipt of your manuscript to be acknowledged, please include a stamped, self-addressed postcard.
Send the manuscript to Yale Drama Series, P.O. Box 209040, New Haven, CT 06520-9040.
For more information regarding the Yale Drama Series please write to us at:
Yale Drama Series
P.O. Box 209040
New Haven, CT
or email us at email@example.com
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. LEARN MORE HERE.
Monday, July 13, 2015
- ► 2018 (546)
- ► 2017 (662)
- ► 2016 (514)
- Diez Minutos 2016 seeks 10-minute plays
- Primary Stages Einhorn School of Performing Arts (...
- Generations residency
- Talos Science Fiction Theatre Festival Call for Sc...
- Bread & Roses Theatre Company seeks short plays
- DEATHSCRIBE 2015
- Hijabi Monologues
- Studio C Artists Holiday Show
- FUTURE TEN FESTIVAL OF 10-MINUTE PLAYS
- Overtime Theater Call for Submissions 2016
- 2016 David Calicchio Emerging American Playwright ...
- Discount tickets: MRS. SMITH'S BROADWAY CAT-TACULA...
- 10 by 10 x 10 Ten Minute Play Festival
- The August Event
- THIRD ANNUAL UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS- AMHERST ...
- Fall Playwriting Classes at ESPA!
- Pipeline submission guidelines
- Upright Citizen's Brigade Diversity Scholarship
- London Horror Festival
- Call for original short plays by playwrights from ...
- 4th Annual nuVoices New Play Festival
- RADD Theatre Co call for submissions
- The Yale Drama Series is seeking submissions for i...
- LIC One Act Festival 2015
- The Hormel Festival of New Plays and Musicals 201...
- Nylon Fusion Theatre Company is currently acceptin...
- 1812 Productions Submission Guidelines
- July Short Play Lab
- Cutler Bay Community Theater 2015 Ten-Minute Play...
- New Jersey Playwrights Contest of William Paterson...
- New Play-Reading Festival Script Submission Deadli...
- PICK OF THE VINE – Season 14 (2016)
- The Players Follies Group seeks 10-minute plays
- Accepting submissions for Lama Theater Company’s M...
- Nerve Lantern submissions: Yoko Ono
- Playhouse Creatures submission guidelines
- Random Access Workshop Readings
- Roister Doister Publishing seeks plays for young p...
- ▼ July (38)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)