Writer Guidelines For Studio C Artists Holiday Show
Please register your intention to send us a submission ASAP at http://goo.gl/forms/jAs0HNrXsQ so that we know how many submissions to expect and can plan accordingly.
- Writers should submit one (1) completed One Act play (preferably in PDF format) no later than Friday, July 31st @ 5PM PST.
- Email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please include a logline, a synopsis, and a casting/character breakdown with your submission.
- No more than three (3) plays will be chosen by the One Act Series selection committee.
- Each play should be 20-25 minutes in length, maximum. Any play significantly over the allotted time will be required to be trimmed (definitely nothing longer than 30 minutes). Please don’t go by page count, as that can differ depending on writing utility (read aloud for best guess at play length).
- All works should be original – having never been produced in Los Angeles before.
- 2 characters minimum, 4 characters maximum. Any play with more than 4 characters will not likely be considered.
- We have access to a lot of actors in their 20’s and early 30’s. Please focus on this age range with the roles.
- Each one-act play should have a holiday theme (any holiday in November-December is fine). We’re looking for shows that put you in the holiday spirit – think “Miracle On 34th St.” or “It’s A Wonderful Life”.
- Each one-act play will take place in the same setting, a generic living room space. It will be decorated for the holidays and will be used to resemble a home, apartment, etc. Assume the set will be fairly simple as to accommodate multiple shows. Dressing will include things like a couch, a table, and a chair. Do not expect anything more than that to work with.
- Actors can make entrances from one door on the stage – and through the fourth wall (audience).
- Keep sound and lighting cues to a minimum – if not, we will cut them.
- Keep props to a minimum. They must be carried on and off by the actors as they make their entrances/exits.
- There will be no real food/drink allowed during the play – if the piece requires eating or drinking it must be pantomimed – so please consider this.
- Writers must be available for possible rewrites once the pieces are chosen, prior to rehearsals in September.
- Writers are welcome to visit the casting sessions for their piece if chosen (Directors have final say in Cast selections).
- Writers are welcome to sit in on any/all rehearsals once they are scheduled (any notes/comments should be given only to the Director – and never directly to the Actors).
Please address all questions, comments, or concerns to Producer Michael Sonntag – (323) 988-1175 – email@example.com