We are currently accepting submissions for our fourth annual nuVoices New Play Festival. Actor’s Theatre of Charlotte envisions nuVoices as a springboard to catapult new plays to the national stage through our existing relationship with the National New Play Network (NNPN). We also strive to develop nuVoices into a program to mentor the next generation of professional artistic talent in the Charlotte region.
Diana Grisanti’s RIVER CITY, the winner of our second annual nuVoices Festival, was selected as a Rolling World Premiere by NNPN. It had a total of three premiere productions during the 2014-15 season with Actor’s Theatre of Charlotte serving as the lead theatre in that effort. This success was accomplished in only the festival’s second year, proving that we are on our way to fulfilling our goals for nuVoices.
The goals of nuVoices are three-fold:
- To celebrate and cultivate new plays by emerging American playwrights.
- To incubate professional artistic talent in the Charlotte region.
- To educate the public on the process of taking new plays from page to stage.
nuVoices was created by Actor’s Theatre of Charlotte to honor and encourage emerging playwrights in the American Theatre. Four playwrights will be awarded a $500 honorarium, with transportation and housing provided, and a week-long residency at the theatre January 10-17, 2016. The residency will encompass a four-day festival that will feature two public, script-in-hand readings for each of the four plays selected. Following the end of the festival, the festival winner, who will be determined by a panel of audience members, arts professionals, and Actor’s Theatre staff, will be invited by the theatre to have a full production mounted in the 2016-2017 season.
- Scripts must be unpublished and have not received a fully staged, professional production at the time of the festival. Workshops and readings are acceptable.
- Selected playwrights must be in attendance for the festival, which will be held January 10-17, 2016
- Previous submissions to the nuVoices Festival will NOT be considered
Guidelines for Submission
Please note the following when preparing your submission:
- All submissions MUST be received electronically.
- One script submission per playwright
- Full-length, original plays only (no musicals, translations, adaptations or children's plays)
Script submissions must be made through our online submission form. Email submissions and submissions submitted by mail will not be accepted. Your documents should be submitted as PDFs and consist of the following:
1. Your resume, which should include:
- Your name, contact information, and mailing address
- You may also provide contact info for your agent or representation, if applicable.
2. Your script with observance to the following:
- All personal information that would identify you as the playwright should be removed from the script. This includes the title page and any page headers or footers that may include your name. If applicable, remove the contact information for your agent or representation as well.
- Text in 12pt type and in a plain font, such as Times New Roman
- Include a title page and a list of characters and settings
- Include the title and page numbers in the header or footer on each page
- Type the name of your play as you would like it to be read/shown for future reference
Click below to access the online submission form:
nuVoices 4 Play Submission Form
Please note that we will accept submissions through Monday, July 20th at 12:00pm EST.
- Submit early! Due to our small staff and pool of volunteer readers, we will guarantee that the first 250 submissions will be read. We will post to our website when we've reached the 250 submissions. Submissions received afterwards will be read at our discretion.
- Submissions not adhering to all guidelines will not be considered unless fixed when requested.
- Upon submission, you will receive an email confirmation. If you do not receive confirmation, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.