The Writer’s Center seeks promising writers in the Washington area earning less than $25,000 annually to apply. This scholarship program will provide complimentary writing workshops to the selected applicant for a period of one year, but not to exceed 8 workshops in that year (and not to include independent studies). We expect the recipient will use the year to make progress toward a completed manuscript of publishable work.
Previous winners include Marija Stajic (2013) Rose Fitzpatrick (2013), Nicole Idar (2012), Gimbiya Kettering (2011), Lee Kaplan (2010) and Susan Bucci Mockler (2009).
The Writer’s Center believes writers of all backgrounds and experiences should have an opportunity to devote time and energy toward the perfection of their craft.
The recipient will be able to attend writing workshops offered by The Writer’s Center free of charge. In addition, he or she will give a reading from his or her work after the close of the scholarship period and will be invited to join our community in ways most intereting to them.
To apply, candidates should submit:
a) a cover letter signed by the candidate that contains the statement: “I understand and confirm I meet all eligibility requirements of the Undiscovered Voices Scholarship.” The cover letter should include information on the impact this scholarship would have on the candidate.
b) contact information for two references who can speak to the candidate’s creative work and promise
c) a work sample in a single genre:
8 pages of poetry, no more than one poem per page
10 pages of fiction, double-spaced, no more than one work or excerpt
10 pages of nonfiction (essay, memoir, etc), double-spaced, no more than one work or excerpt
15 pages of a script or screenplay
These items should be sent in hard copy to
The Writer’s Center
Attn: Judson Battaglia
Re: Undiscovered Voices Scholarship
4508 Walsh St.
Bethesda MD 20815
All submissions must be postmarked by June 20, 2015.
We never post calls for submissions that require a submission fee. LEARN MORE HERE.
- ► 2018 (546)
- ► 2017 (662)
- ► 2016 (514)
- Proscenium Theatre Journal
- Postcard Theatre's New Writing Competition.
- North Park Playwright Festival
- NEW PLAY SUBMISSIONS FOR SUBURBAN HOLIDAYS 2015
- Page to Stage Playwriting Contest
- The Northern Writers' Project
- Brave New Ending Writing Challenge
- Moonlight Theatre Productions is seeking submissio...
- Radio Drama Revival Submission Guidelines
- StageCoach Theatre Company seeks scripts for young...
- Cimientos seeks plays
- Evergreen Theatre submssions guidelines
- Scary Theater Festival
- The Stella Adler Studio of Acting is seeking appli...
- 2015 FRED EBB AWARD
- The Relentless Award, established in honor of Phil...
- AFO now accepting submissions for their Works-in-P...
- STELLA ADLER NOW ACCEPTING FULL-LENGTH PLAY SUBMIS...
- Public Theater Submission Guidelines
- Call for Submissions UNFringed Festival
- Next Gen are always interested in new, exciting ma...
- Winter/Spring 2015-16 Full-Length Play Submission
- Everyday Inferno submission guidelines
- The Ingram New Works Project
- The 5th annual NEWvember New Plays Festival
- Seeking submissions of short scripts for podcast
- Thespis Theater Festival 2015
- Undiscovered Voices Scholarship
- Qu literary journal seeks scripts/excerpts
- New York New Works Festival Now Accepting Submissi...
- Panglossian is seeking new full-length plays
- 27th Annual JETFest
- Mystery on the Menu needs several 5-10 minute myst...
- Frequency is always open to submissions of unsolic...
- Acadiana Repertory Theatre submission guidelines
- Briefs: A Festival of Short LGBT Plays
- Theater for the New City Scratch Night
- Plays In Progress Series Submissions
- 12 Peers Theater is accepting play submissions
- ▼ June (39)
- ► 2014 (582)
- ► 2013 (514)
- ► 2012 (490)
- ► 2011 (344)