CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
The 5th annual
NEWvember New Plays Festival
Thursday 5th to Sunday 8th November 2015
Inaugurated in 2011 as a co-production of Tangent Theatre Company and AboutFACE Ireland, NEWvember is a festival of rehearsed readings of new plays that takes place over four days at the Carpenter Shop Theatre in the historic village of Tivoli in upstate New York.
We are now pleased to invite submissions of new plays for the 2015 NEWvember festival:
CRITERIA FOR SUBMISSIONS
– submitted plays should be previously unproduced (we will consider plays that have had readings before but are still in development)
– plays cannot have previously been submitted to the NEWvember Festival
– plays should have a cast size of 2-8
– plays should have a running time of 30 to 120 minutes
– we will only accept one submission per writer
– we ask that the writers of the chosen plays attend the reading of their play towards its further development and to be present for a post-reading Q&A with the audience. We will provide $50 towards travel for those traveling more than 50 miles, as well as local private housing accommodation in the Tivoli area
– there is no fee for submissions
– while we are open to all styles and subjects, our companies do have a preference for narrative and character driven stories
PROCESS OF SUBMISSION:
Please submit your play at www.NEWvemberfestival.com/submit
– via our online application form
you will be asked to include
– your play as a PDF (without the writer’s name, email or other identifying marks on any page throughout the script – to aid our blind reading process)
– the title page, listing the name of author, separately
The window for submissions opens Friday May 1st 2015.
The closing date for submissions is Monday June 15th 2015 (12 midnight EST).
This year, we will only consider the first 400 scripts submitted meeting these criteria.
Please note that these criteria will be applied strictly and any submissions made after the closing date or not following the submission guidelines will not be considered. In addition, our festival’s reading panel will not be able to provide feedback on specific plays or on the status of your application.
The writers of the plays that have been shortlisted will be contacted in early September and will be asked to send any updated version of their play, as this will be the final version considered and the version read at the festival if chosen.
The invited plays will be announced in October.
CASTING: Please note – the chosen plays will be read by an ensemble of actors, each performing roles in multiple plays in the festival. While we will endeavor to provide the best match of cast for each play that is read, in terms of characters’ listed ages/ethnicities, we also need to form an ensemble to best cover the entire range of the festival’s program. We appreciate our playwrights’ understanding of our ensemble-based casting.